Thursday, June 11, 2009

Dead Is The New Black by Marlene Perez

"Fashion statement...or something freakier?

The first installment of this creepy, campy paperback original series introduces the psychic Giordano sisters—and their very strange hometown, Nightshade, California.
Teenage girls are being mysteriously attacked all over town, including at Nightshade High School, where Daisy Giordano is a junior. When Daisy discovers that a vampire may be the culprit, she can’t help but suspect head cheerlead Samantha Devereaux, who returned from summer break with a new “look.” Samantha looks a little...well, dead, and all the popular kids at school are copying her style. Is looking dead just another fashion trend for pretty popular Samantha, or is there something more sinister going on? To find out, Daisy joins the cheerleading squad....
Dead is the New Black is a fast-paced mystery that combines romance, humor, sibling rivalry, and lots of attitude."

I want to start by saying, I love the actual book. The cover is awesome, and it's got the right amount of floppiness. It's, like, the perfect book!
Okay, now onto the story and stuff. They were awesome too! Daisy was in interesting character in a really good story that was very well written. DITNB is a great summer read, and I'll probably read it again sometime in the next three months when I'm dragged outside or something.
A review/blurb by Nancy Holder (author of Pretty Little Devils) on the back cover says it's "Veronica Mars plus Buffy the Vampire Slayer..." I've never watched Buffy, but I did see the last season of Veronica Mars and I'd say she got it right. The story was intriguing and there were just enough suspects and leads to keep me guessing who was attacking the cheerleaders, without making it too easy to figure out who did it or overwhelming me and giving the effect of the culprit coming out of nowhere.
The characters, story, and writing were all excellent. I can't wait to get the next book in the series!!! XD

I give this book five Fists of Rock.
Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

3 comments:

brave chickens said...

bleh, my library doesn't have this one :(

Hey, I've started a book review blog, btw :) I hope my reviews are as awesome as yours, :D

Dahlia said...

My reviews are aweomse? Thanks! XD

Dame Orchid said...

I have about 40 pages left in Dead is the New Black, and I can't wait to read the next one.