Wednesday, May 6, 2009

MAX by James Patterson

"Maximum Ride and the other members of the Flock have barely recovered from their last arctic adventure, when they are confronted by the most frightening catastrophe yet. Millions of fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii and someone-or something-is destroying hundreds of ships. Unable to discover the cause, the government enlists the Flock to help them get to the bottom of the disaster before it is too late.

While Max and her team are exploring the depths of the ocean, their every move is being carefully tracked by Mr. Chu-a criminal mastermind with his own plans for the Flock. Can they protect themselves from Mr. Chu's army of mercenaries and save the ocean from utter destruction?"

I've been a fan of this series for years, so I was really happy when MAX came out. I mean, don't you just love reading something new in an awesome series you've read for years? To me, in the world of books, reading something new in an old series and finding a new series you love are the best things ever.
This book was soooo good! But I have to say, it didn't quite live up to the first three books in the series. Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but there was just something missing from MAX and Final Warning. I think the word I'm looking for here is, challenge. In the first three books, they were on their own and had to figure everything out themselves, but in the last two they had help. I prefer the struggle of the first three, which were filled with losses and whatnot to the assisted wins of the last two.
This one had way more Max/Fang stuff in it. And I mean, like, way more. It kind of bothered me, and every time it came up I was like, "Get back to the action!"
I wanted to kill Angel. I have never disliked a six-year-old more in my life, and that's all I'll say about it.
I find Brigid Dwyer to be creepy and weird. I keep wanting to scream at her, "Fang is only fourteen, you freak! Go find someone who's legal!"
I find reviewing books/series that I love really hard, because I'd rather ignore the things I don't like and I hate picking apart the things I do like. So I'm going to end this now and get to the rating.

MAX was Too Much Rock for One Hand.
Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

3 comments:

Nadia Murti said...

Hmm, perhaps I should try the series.

-Nadia

Dame Orchid said...

I know. I wish there was a bit more of a struggle in the last two books. But at least Max was better than Final Warning.

brave chickens said...

Dahlia, is MAX the fifth book of the series. Are you saying finally it is out?
Yay!