Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Rhymes with Witches by Lauren Myracle

"Now available in paperback, a dark look at popularity by a New York Times best-selling author

From the author of ttyl, comes this smart, savage story of a high school where popularity can be stolen.

Jane dreams of being chosen as the freshman member a dominant school clique made up of one girl from each class. When her wish is granted, and she is offered a place in their group, Jane discovers the terrible price of their particular kind of popularity. There is a sinister secret to their power, one that will change Jane forever. Darkly humorous and dead on, this book will leave readers shivering in recognition."

I borrowed this book from Orchid yesterday, because I wanted to read something by Lauren Myracle since I entered her contest. I finished it in one day, mostly due to its weird format. Rhymes with Witches didn't have chapters. It was separated into three parts, with little stopping points every now and then. Because of this format, it's very hard to put down. You read a little, then you hit a stopping point, then you look to see where the next stopping point is, and when you see how close it is, you read a little more and repeat until the next thing you know, you've finished the book and it's two a.m.
I only liked one character in the whole book, and it wasn't even the main character. I really just didn't like Jane, or the Witches (I know that's not what they're called, but I don't want that word on my blog), or Jane's friend Alicia, or anyone else. The only person who was even remotely likable was Jane's friend Phil. He was the only normal person (in my opinion) and he was the nicest.
I was really kind of disappointed with the end. I mean, after all the trouble she went through, not only did Jane lose, but the Witches were still around and evil. I hate it when the good guy loses.
This book was good, but it had a lot of swearing, something I don't really like to read. Because of that, I feel obligated to only recommend this to people about 15 and older. And if you have a serious problem with swearing, I think you should pass on Rhymes with Witches.
The writing was good, and I'm definitely going to look into Lauren Myracle's other books.

I give this book three Fists of Rock.
Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

3 comments:

Nadia Murti said...

Sounds ok. I hate lots of swearing (if you do too, don't read Tithe).

I love your new title/heading. Also, I just noticed that "Top Commenters" widget, and Orchid, you are SO going down!

Dahlia said...

Nadia, thanks for the heads up about Tithe. I was actually considering reading it, but only if I could find it at my library (not likely). :)

Dame Orchid said...

It's has been so long since I’d read Rhymes with Witches and I thought it was a pretty good read.
Dahlia, I am very sorry for giving you a book with so much swearing in it (I completely forgot how much swearing there was in it). :)