Monday, April 13, 2009

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

"Percy Jackson is a good kid, but he can't seem to focus on his schoolwork or control his temper. And lately, being away at boarding school is only getting worse-Percy could have sworn his pre-algebra teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill him. When Percy's mom finds out, she knows it's time that he knew the truth about where he came from, and that he go to the one place he'll be safe. She sends Percy to Camp Half Blood, a summer camp for demigods (on Long Island), where he learns that the father he never knew is Poseidon, God of the Sea. Soon a mystery unfolds and together with his friends -- one a satyr and the other the demigod daughter of Athena -- Percy sets out on a quest across the United States to reach the gates of the Underworld (located in a recording studio in Hollywood) and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods."

I have to admit, I kind of had my doubts about this book. I've heard good things about it around the blogosphere, but I was a little skeptical because it's aimed at younger readers.
I was so wrong to think like that.
This book was sooo good!!! The writing, the characters, the story, all of it was amazing! I saw this book when it first came out, with a different cover (left), and I considered getting it, but forgot about it shortly after. Now, I must buy it! And the rest of the series. Don't you hate it when there's an amazing series that you don't start until half of the books are out, and you finally realize what you've been missing? All the time you wasted not reading it? I know I do.
I found it really interesting that all the demigods had dyslexia and ADHD. They had trouble reading anything that wasn't Ancient Greek just because that's what their brains were hard-wired for, and the ADHD helped them in battle. Very interesting.
Percy was a good character, very likable. You just wanted him to win. I really hated a few of the characters, like Smelly Gabe, the bully girl at Yancy (can't remember her name), the evil teacher from Yancy Academy, Zeus, Ares' kids, Ares, ect. Pretty much anyone even remotely mean or evil.

I found the gods to be really annoying. They were very frustrating and showy. I mean, did Zeus really need a solid platinum throne?!?! I think not.
There was one part I didn't like when they were in Vegas. It seemed really pointless. Like, the author got the characters close to their goal and didn't know what to do, so he skipped forward a week and gave them a magical way to get the rest of the way there with a day left before their deadline. Luckily, that part didn't last long.
I don't know if it's just because I'm not good at picking up on subtle things, but I totally didn't see the end coming. It was kind of one of those "what?!?!" moments, but at the same time you kind of expected it.
This book was really, really, really good. I totally recommend it to everyone. I think it's the next Harry Potter, because it's technically a book for kids, but everyone would like it. I'm definitely going to keep reading this series.

I give this book five Fists of Rock.

Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

1 comment:

Lianne said...

sounds interesting!