Wednesday, April 22, 2009

In My Mailbox 3

In My Mailbox was started by The Story Siren and inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie. None of these books were or ever will be in my mailbox, but whatever.

From the new/used bookstore
The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan
Pub. date: May 2007
"When the goddess Artemis goes missing, she is believed to have been kidnapped.And now it's up to Percy and his friends to find out what happened. Who is powerful enough to kidnap a goddess? They must find Artemis before the winter solstice, when her influence on the Olympian Council could swing an important vote on the war with the titans. Not only that, but first Percy will have to solve the mystery of a rare monster that Artemis was hunting when she disappeared -- a monster rumored to be so powerful it could destroy Olympus forever."




Borrowed from friends
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart (from Orchid)
Pub. Date: March 2008
"Frankie Landau-Banks at age 14:
Debate Club.
Her father's "bunny rabbit."
A mildly geeky girl attending a highly competitive boarding school.

Frankie Landau-Banks at age 15:
A knockout figure.
A sharp tongue.
A chip on her shoulder.
And a gorgeous new senior boyfriend: the supremely goofy, word-obsessed Matthew Livingston.

Frankie Landau-Banks.
No longer the kind of girl to take "no" for an answer.
Especially when "no" means she's excluded from her boyfriend's all-male secret society.
Not when her ex-boyfriend shows up in the strangest of places.
Not when she knows she's smarter than any of them.
When she knows Matthew's lying to her.
And when there are so many, many pranks to be done.
Frankie Landau-Banks, at age 16:
Possibly a criminal mastermind.
This is the story of how she got that way."

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (from 21)
Pub. date: September 2006
"The "true story" behind Alice in Wonderland! Princess Alyss Heart is brutally cast out of Wonderland by her vicious Aunt Redd, who beheads Alyss' mother (Off with her head, she cries!) and begins to rule over Wonderland with an iron fist. Alyss escapes from Wonderland and is exiled to another world entirely--Victorian London--where she is adopted into a new family, renamed Alice, and befriended by Lewis Carroll. At age 20 she returns to Wonderland to battle Redd, reclaim the throne, and lead Wonderland into its next golden age of imagination."





I started reading Disreputable History late last night, and I'm almost done it with already. I won't tell you how I feel about it until my review. As much as I love the Percy Jackson series, I decided to take a short break and read something else before moving on to the third book (and let me tell you, Orchid and 21 are not happy about that, since they were going to read it after me). I'll be starting Looking Glass Wars as soon as I finish Frankie.
And that's all I got this week. Sadly, my trip to the library was disappointing, and I didn't find anything worth reading. :( Oh well.

Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

10 comments:

Dame Orchid said...

Hurry up and read The Titans Curse, because I am dying to find out what happens next. :)

Liyana said...

Those seem like pretty fun books. Have fun reading them!

Cat said...

How many covers ARE there for THE LOOKING GLASS WARS? Really! I have one, I have seen two others in the the store and now this one.

I read it and wanted to get SEEING REDD, but I don't think I liked it enough to buy the second book. I didn't dislike it, it just made me feel uncomfortable. I'm a huge Alice fan and this was slightly too... different for me. :) I am curious to see what you think!

The Story Siren said...

Great books. I need to read the Riordan series... and I've listened to a few chapters of The Looking Glass wars and it was really good! I need to get the book so i can read it! Happy reading!

Fantastic Book Review said...

I've wondered about the Looking Glass Wars! I keep passing them up. Happy Reading!!

Ravenous Reader said...

You had a great week. I absolutely adore Frankie Landau Banks. It is a wonderful book and one of my favorite all time reads :)

Carrie said...

I love the Looking Glass Wars. Can't wait to see what you think.

Callie said...

I've been looking at that Lockhart book! I hope it's good!

cupcakewitch said...

Looking Glass Wars sounds really interesting. I love Alice in Wonderland!

Rebecca said...

Awesome books, I have the Looking Glass Wars but haven't read it yet.