Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

"Frankie Landau-Banks at age 14:

Debate Club.
Her father's "bunny rabbit."
A mildly geeky girl attending a highly competitive boarding school.


Frankie Landau-Banks at age 15:
A knockout figure.
A sharp tongue.
A chip on her shoulder.
And a gorgeous new senior boyfriend: the supremely goofy, word-obsessed Matthew Livingston.


Frankie Landau-Banks.
No longer the kind of girl to take "no" for an answer.
Especially when "no" means she's excluded from her boyfriend's all-male secret society.
Not when her ex-boyfriend shows up in the strangest of places.
Not when she knows she's smarter than any of them.
When she knows Matthew's lying to her.
And when there are so many, many pranks to be done.


Frankie Landau-Banks, at age 16:
Possibly a criminal mastermind.


This is the story of how she got that way."

I've heard a lot of good things about this book, both from friends and around the blogosphere. But I've gotta say, it didn't quite live up to all the things I've heard. It took about half of the book before the Loyal Order of the Basset Hound came into play (other than briefly being mentioned near the beginning). I really thought the author would get to that sooner, and was dissapointed (and slightly annoyed) by how long it took.
Frankie was an okay character, but I don't thik I'd ever read another book with her. I found her to be quite annoying at times, particularly when she started using the whole neglacted positive thing (more so when she used "falsies,"  I thought it made her sound stupid). Sometimes I wished she would just leave the Bassets alone and start her own sercet society, a female rival for the Bassets, which could have resulted in a fun competition. But sadly, that didn't happen.
I had a hard time liking any of the other characters (I barely liked Frankie). I found the Bassets to be annoying. I hate all-male societies. All-male societies are just a way for men to get together and pretend they're better than women, which is stupid and childish. Though secret societies normally have a certain cool factor (I wouldn't mind starting one of my own, but only if there were a rival society or something. You know, a purpose), the Bassets were just lame.
The end was very disappointing. SPOILERS!!!! I mean, Frankie spent the majority of her sophomore year giving them pranks far better than anything they could come up with, and when they found out it was her, they rejected her. I really thought she would end up the leader of the Bassets, or at least the leader of her own group, but instead her evil mind ended up alone and without a secret society to carry out her plans.
Though the writing was good, this book wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

I give it four Fists of Rock (for writing and an interesting story, though the characters and end left something to be desired).
Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

4 comments:

21 said...

I loved Frankie's negleted positive. As a fellow word smith, I really appreciate that kind of thing.
The Basset's were total D-bags for ditching her after she'd basically led them for like a couple months. It harkens back to the Little Rascals and their He-Man Women-Haters Club. Totaly petty and juvenile. But then, petty and juvenile are pretty much the words to use when describing male secret societies. It's just an excuse for men to play dress-up and use props. *sticks tongue out at men and says, "Nyeh, nyeh!"*

Nadia Murti said...

I LOVED the INP, and all that stuff about the Suicide Club! I thought that book was really good. It's not amazing right after you finished it, but think about the book, and it's amazing. It would have been predictable and boring if she made a rival secret-society. As you said, secret selective gender clubs are lame.

-Nadia

Amelia said...

This book sounds like something I'd like. I'll have to check it out.

You won an award on my blog. I think I'm supposed to say "You've been splashed" but I don't know, it sounds kind of dirty to me. Lol

And thanks for the comments you left on the posts about Kevin and everything. It meant a lot :)

Amelia said...

Yeah same here. This is the first time I might be able to go to and only the second for an author I like. I missed Sherrliyn Kenyon's for Acheron, and it was at the Parthenon! Grr