Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Compound by S.A. Bodeen

"Eli and his family have lived in the Compound for six years. The world they knew is gone. Eli’s father built the Compound to keep them safe. Now, they can’t get out. He won’t let them."

There's not much to say for The Compound. I didn't really like it.
It was fairly well written, I mean, I didn't find any major flaws with the writing. And the story was interesting enough to keep me reading (though not on the edge of my seat or totally eager to reach the next page).
I didn't like Eli.
He was annoying, he was a jerk (he admitted to that), and his hair was gross. Okay, forget scratching that out. His hair was so... weird. It was long. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's guys with long hair. One of the most annoying things aout his hair was that, right when I forgot that it was long and weird and gross, he would pull it out/put it up into a ponytail or hang it over his face. And he his behind it, a lot.
But it wasn't just his hair that bothered me. He just wasn't likable. All he did was talk about his twin, Eddy, and how good Eddy was, and how well liked Eddy was, and what Eddy would have done in that situation, and that Eddy always made the right choices. Which means he knew the right choice to make 99% of the time, he just never did it (until the last quarter of the book).
I absolutely despised Eli's dad. I wished him ill throughout the entire book, and not because he had them trapped underground. He was severely sexist. He said that dishes, cooking, cleaning, and laundry was women's work. I wanted to kick him sooo hard! And he was a control freak. I hated him!
The story was okay, the writing was fine, but the characters kind of ruined the book.

I give this book one Fist of Rock.
Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

2 comments:

Dame Orchid said...

Ugh, the Compound sounds awful.

Bethany-la said...

Hey! I'm just here to say that Zombie Queen was really good, but I got it out of the library, it looked as good as new (even though it was...but it was really good,