Sunday, March 29, 2009

Me, the Missing and the Dead by Jenny Valentine

"Me: Lucas Swain—I'm nearly sixteen years old and live in London. I was fairly normal until the night I found Violet. Then everything changed.

The Missing: Dad. He disappeared five years ago. Nobody knows what happened to him, and nobody cares except me. It's enough to drive you crazy.

The Dead: That's Violet . . . in the urn. Speaking of crazy—I know she's trying to tell me something, and I think it's about my father. . . .
A dead lady may not be much to go on, but my dad's out there somewhere, and it's up to me to find out where."

I'm not exactly sure what to say about this book. It wasn't like the books I usually read, which all have at least one fight scene (usually more), and a very clear villain. This book had no fight scenes (well, not physical fights, There were a few arguments) and no villain. If I tried to write a book like this, I would constantly be asking myself during the planning stages, "What's the point to the story?" (a problem that is holding back what I think is a good idea of mine, but let's talk about that another time).
But Jenny Valentine did an exceptional job keeping me interested. There was always the question of, what happened to his dad? And what does Violet have to do with it? 
I found Lucas to be a very intriguing character. I can't quite explain what it was that made him interesting. Maybe it was the writing style. It was so different from everything else I've read. It's like you're sitting with the character and he's just telling you everything that happened since he found an urn in a cab office. Lucas was very realistic.
The title caught my attention when I was browsing the YA section in my library, so I decided to give it a try. I liked the book. I liked the mystery, and the character, and the writing style was incredibly interesting, I couldn't put it down. The end was unexpected, which I also liked. If you see this book, read it. You might like it.

Enough rambling.
I give this book four Fists of Rock.

Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

2 comments:

Dame Orchid said...

If I ever find time to try a new book I might give this one a shot. :)

Nadia Murti said...

I think I'll read this soon.