Tuesday, March 31, 2009

In My Mailbox 1

I've decided to do In My Mailbox. This was started by The Story Siren and inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie. So, none of these books were or ever will be in my mailbox, but whatever. They're all library books or books I borrowed from friends. Here's what I got.

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Pub. Date: April 06
Percy Jackson is a good kid, but he can't seem to focus on his schoolwork or control his temper. And lately, being away at boarding school is only getting worse-Percy could have sworn his pre-algebra teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill him. When Percy's mom finds out, she knows it's time that he knew the truth about where he came from, and that he go to the one place he'll be safe. She sends Percy to Camp Half Blood, a summer camp for demigods (on Long Island), where he learns that the father he never knew is Poseidon, God of the Sea. Soon a mystery unfolds and together with his friends -- one a satyr and the other the demigod daughter of Athena -- Percy sets out on a quest across the United States to reach the gates of the Underworld (located in a recording studio in Hollywood) and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods.

The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer
Pub. Date: April 05
In the future, in a place called Satelite City, fourteen-year-old Cosmo Hill enters the world, unwanted by his parents. He's sent to the Clarissa Frayne Institute for Parentally Challenged Boys, Freight class. At Clarissa Frayne, the boys are put to work by the state, testing highly dangerous products. At the end of most days, they are covered with burns, bruises, and sores. Cosmo realizes that if he doesn't escape, he will die at this so-called orphanage. When the moment finally comes, Cosmo seizes his chance and breaks out with the help of the Supernaturalists, a motley crew of kids who all have the same special ability as Cosmo-they can see supernatural Parasites, creatures that feed on the life force of humans. The Supernaturalists patrol the city at night, hunting the Parasites in hopes of saving what's left of humanity in Satellite City. Or so they think. The Supernaturalist soon find themselves caught in a web far more complicated than they'd imagined, when they discover a horrifying secret that will force them to question everything they believe in. Eoin Colfer has created an eerie and captivating world-part Blade Runner, part futuristic Dickens-replete with non-stop action
The Devil's Breath by David Gilman
Pub. Date: September 08
His father is missing.


He’s an assassin’s target.

He has one clue. And no time.

He’s Max Gordon. And someone wants him dead.







Well, those are all the books I got from the library. I also borrowed Demon in My View by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes from Orchid, which I finished in one day. My review for that will be up soon. :)

Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

2 comments:

The Story Siren said...

i love the library! i almost actually bought the lightning theif today!

Book Junkie said...

I hope he doesn't either. I don't why he just all of sudden decided he was going to cancel it. I pay for my phone and internet lines so its not like I"m running up the bill and he's having to pay for it or anything. If he does then I'll just have to take his car drive down to the next exit and sit in the hotel parking lot or McDonald's and mooch of their Wi-fi haha but seriously if he does I'll figure out something. It won't be completely gone but posts may be a rarity.

I want to read The Lightning Thief so bad. I love all things Greek. Let me know what you think of it.