Friday, March 27, 2009

Frogs and French Kisses by Sarah Mlynowski

"Rachel has finally come to terms with the outrageously unfair fact that her younger sister, Miri, has inherited magical powers from their mom. But now the whole witchcraft thing is spiraling out of control. Mom is a magicaholic, Miri’s on a Save the World kick, and the one teeny tiny love spell that Rachel begged for has gone embarrassingly, horribly wrong.

Suddenly, the fate of everything is in Rachel’s hands.

Her family.

The world.

Senior prom."


I loved this book. It was really funny, and Rachel didn't annoy me quite as much as she did in the first one.
The plot was a lot like Bras and Broomsticks (Rachel misuses Miri's powers and ends up almost ruining some big event but manages to fix everything in the end), which annoyed me a little. But the book was still really good.
Rachel really matured in this book. In the first one, she was completely selfish, ditched her best friend, almost (briefly did) ruined her dad's wedding, and used her sister. There was still a bit of sister-using in Frogs and French Kisses, but it was toned down a lot from BaB. Surprisingly, Miri was the one who went crazy with the magic this time (along with their mom).
I kind of wished that she wouldn't be able to save the prom in the end, and for a chapter or two it looked like I would get my way, but she managed to fix all the damage she'd done (though, thankfully, she seemed to learn from her mistakes).
Anyway, this book was really good. Very similar to the first book, but still really good. I can't wait to read Spells and Sleeping Bags!

I give this book four Fists of Rock.
Eclectically yours,
Dahlia

4 comments:

21 said...

Sounds funny, maybe I'll read it. It isn't too bubbly, is it? I can't read too much bubbly stuff, it affects my mental state in a negative way. o_O

The Whirlwinds said...

I have never read any of the books in this series, but I've heard good things. I will definitely have to look it up.

Dahlia said...

21: if you really know me (which you should!) you'd know right away that they're not bubbly. I don't read books like that. :)

The Whirlwinds: I actually avoided the books for a while because they seemed too girly. It's only now, after I've read them, that I see my mistake. :)

Dame Orchid said...

I read the first book B&B (and liked it) so I guess I will read the second book after I finish reading Wait for What Will Come by Barbara Michaels or after another book. :)