Friday, January 23, 2009

Unfinished Books

Okay, so today I will be going to the library to return Generation Dead, Restless Dead, and Teen, Inc. I finished one out of three of those books, but not for a lack of trying. Missed my review of Teen, Inc.?

I was really excited when I found Generation Dead at the library, and was really looking forward to reading it. But when I got home and started it I was quickly bored with the story. The beginning was very slow, and I only got about five chapters in. The characters were overly cliche, but at the same time their personalities didn't match their appearances, and not in a 'they're so original' sort of way, more like the author didn't know what he was doing. I just found the book boring, though that doesn't mean I won't recommend it to other people. It just wasn't my thing, like so many other things (because I'm super picky).

As for Restless Dead, I just couldn't get into it. I started the first short story and never finished it. I could have skipped to one of the stories by an author I've heard of, but didn't. I just don't think I'm a short story person. I prefer stories that take more than twenty or so pages to fit everything.

So, that's my semi-review of the books I didn't finish. I would have given them full reviews, but I thought that would have been unfair since I didn't even read the whole thing. Now, I have to go find at least one book off my list to start reading, even though I'm already reading two other books. If there's any book on my list that you would like me to review soon, leave a comment (but the book must be on the list).

3 comments:

Dame Orchid said...

I totally hate it when you find a book that you were looking forward to reading, only to find out that you don't really like it.
I think that you should read Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones next.

21 said...

I love short stories, they're like literary snacks! I think you should read either The Looking Glass Wars or Howl's Moving Castle. I own both and they're really good.
P.S. Why isn't LOTR on your list?!? o_O

Dahlia said...

21: Not meaning to offend one of your favorite series, but I've never really wanted to read LOTR. I only really liked the second movie and was never compelled to read the books.