Thursday, January 1, 2009

Query Letters and Lit Agents

Hello readers.

Even though it's technically a holiday, I spent the better part of the day working. Not at a job, I don't have one... yet. After a few days of work and heavy consideration as to what went into it, I have finished my first ever query letter. I've been asking around online for authors to post their query letters, just to help me out a little. Let's just say I didn't get many replies, and the ones I did get weren't really satisfactory.
I think it's safe to say that, at this point in my writing career, the query letter was the hardest thing I've ever had to do for my book. Have you ever tried to sound professional and fun at the same time??? Didn't think so.

I just recently took a break from looking for other literary agents, just in case things don't work out with my first option, Nelson Literary Agency. After a couple hours of searching and visiting many websites, I only found four that sound right for me, only two of them have authors I recognize. But based on the little bit about what they usually represent, they all sound like they might work for me.
How did I find so many literary agencies, you ask? Simple, really. All I did was google literary agents, one of the results that came up was Agentquery.com. It has a long list of agents, and you can search based on what kind of book you're looking to publish. It also tells you whether or not an agent accepts queries, and gives a link to the site for their agency. All in all, it was very helpful in my search.


I have decided that after my friends and family finish reading B1 and after another round of revisions/editing, I will send my query letter. It's a little scary to think about. I mean, they could, dare I say it, reject me. Hopefully that won't happen.
Now, I know I'm not going to be picked up by the first agent I send a query letter to, what I meant to say was 'hopefully it won't happen much'.


Well, I've been staring at the computer for way too long, so I think I'm going to start ending this post.
I'll be back soon. And hopefully, in the coming months, I'll be able to write about actually sending a query letter. I really hope I can write about getting picked up by an agent. Wish me luck! :)

3 comments:

Dame Orchid said...

Just the thought of writing up a query letter would give me a headache.

Faerie said...

Good luck with the query letters and agents. :)
I hope your book gets published, that would be cool.

Nadia Murti said...

I'm sure it'll all go well. But remember, Stephenie Meyer got rejected 14 times. J.K. Rowling about 20. Ally Carter: Eight.
Never. Be. Discouraged.

Good luck, Dahlia!!