Thursday, January 29, 2009

Must. Read. More. Books!

Okay, so I've almost finished Darkside, and I'm totally loving it, but I've run into a rather annoying problem. I'm getting bored with the book. Don't get me wrong, it's a great book, good characters, interesting story, excellent writing, but I have problems reading about the same characters and/or events for too long. In fact, I spent about two hours sitting in the parking lot of a Barnes & Noble for the midnight release of Deathly Hallows, and I started the book as soon as I got home. I finished about half of it that night... then I put it down for about two/three months. So, it's a problem that has effected my ability to finish one book without starting another since at least 2007.

I'm currently reading three books, and I'm considering starting a fourth. Maybe Howl's Moving Castle? I recall a few people saying I should read that next, but then I got a library book and forgot to start HMC.

I think my problem of getting bored with interesting characters has even found it's way into my writing. The book I finished writing last year is narrated by at least nine different characters. It switches every to every other chapter and the chapters are short. But then, when a book is written first-person, it's really the only way to get everyone's opinion on the situation in.

Well, you now know my oh so irritating reading dilemma. I have to go find another book to start.

3 comments:

Dame Orchid said...

The only time I read more than one book at a time is when I'm reading someting like "The Iliad". Any other time I am too absorbed in the book to read anything else.

21 said...

I'm a one book woman. My favorite book is usually whichever one I'm reading. Fickle? I prefer "open-minded." o_O

Nadia Murti said...

The highest amount of books I can read at a time is 2. Otherwise I'd start to think that Liz Sutton is in Ginny Blackstone's situation and that Ginny Blackstone is dating a vampire named Josh, etc... As you can see, I wouldn't really get the full affect of the book.